Thursday 10 March 2011

Space Wolves Terminators

From GW, used without permission
Until recently, my local club almost always played 1500pt games, and as such I had a 1500pt list.  In fact, I've got a list here which goes all the way from 500pts to 1500pts incrementally which is pretty much all I ever use.  However the last couple of weeks, both of my opponents have wanted to play 2000pt games, and so I've had to try and find another 500 pts.  Rummaging around in my army case the best/most effective way I could think to add those points in was with some terminators and a special character, ideally Ragnar.  Another option is to put the terminators in a Land Raider but as I didn't have one with me that wasn't possible.


As it looks like the higher points games may be a more frequent feature of games nights I've been having a think about what might be the best way to field those terminators, what load-out is likely to be the most effective for a single squad, and this is what I've come up with:

  • Cyclone Missile Launcher (or at a push Assault Cannon):  Some heavy fire-power to reach out and touch someone at range.
  • Storm Shield:  Much needed extra survivability against those AP1/2 shots - if you have the points, take 2.
  • Chainfist:  5 points more than a power fist, but in the crucial moment when you really, really need to get through that armour, its worth every one of those points.
  • 2 combi-meltas:  Space Wolf Terminators, especially when charging along with Ragnar, are very good at taking down units and you really want to get them out of those transports first.
  • Wolf Claws:  A 5 points upgrade over the stock power weapon, but re-rolling those to hits or to wounds can turn a combat on its head and I use these as liberally as I can throughout the unit, they can really help to make every model unique as well for wound allocation.
So taking all that into account, here are the units I'd take to make up 500 points:

Land Raider Crusader, multi-melta  (260 points)
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, Cyclone, storm bolter, power weapon
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, storm bolter, storm shield
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, storm bolter, chainfist
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, combi-melta, power weapon
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, combi-melta, wolf claw   (240)

Ragnar  (240 points)
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, Cyclone, storm bolter, wolf claw
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, storm bolter, storm shield
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, storm bolter, chainfist
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, combi-melta, storm shield
Wolf Guard, Terminator armour, combi-melta, wolf claw   (260)

Is there a way I should improve this?  What alternatives would you take?

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks good. Do you have the arms on your Termies magnitized? I did so that I could swap the arms if I found that I wanted an extra Power Weapon or whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've kept all the arms on my Termies magnetised. I used 2x1mm magnets but I've found them to not really be strong enough so in future I plan on using something a bit bigger like 3x2mm's.

    I think once I'm settled on a rough build I'll lightly superglue most of the arms to make them a little more secure, leaving only those arms that I'll swap often like combi-weapons magnetised.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...