Thursday 20 September 2012

Battlescribe

First post while I'm away, I may not be able to respond to comments till I return on the 23rd September.

For anyone out there looking for an army list builder, I'd highly recommend you take a look at Battlescribe.  Its a great little bit of kit, built on Java so it is completely platform independent (unlike pretty much every other army list builder which are limited either to Windows, or Windows and Mac), very easy to use, and Jon Taylor does a fantastic job of both maintaining and updating the software.  There is even a mobile version of the editor so that you can keep and edit army lists on your tablet/phone for ease of use down at the gaming table.  It'll also output army lists in various formats for taking to tournaments.


Of course, for copyright rules, the editor comes without datafiles for game systems and codex/army books, but the top result in this google search will lead you to a repository of these very files for most major game systems and armies.

It gets better though, at least in the Linux version that I use, there is also a Game System Editor and Army List Editor which means that if you aren't happy with the existing datafiles, you can update/customise them yourself.  I've recently been exploring these and have setup a new gamesystem file for 6th Edition 40K, and started to convert the Codices that I use for the new edition.  If there's any interest, I could always post these up on a page here for people, although I imagine these may appear on the repository before I can finish mine.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this FREE army list builder, and if you use it and enjoy it, do consider making a donation to Jon for gifting such a fantastic system to the wargaming community.

Cheers - Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...